Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Exercise

Alright, have you ever tried to work out to a home workout DVD with a crying infant in the same room? I just did that! Here I am trying to embark on a new weight loss journey after having my third and final child who is 5 months old. I'll admit that I'm no where near having the stamina that I once had to work out, but all I wanted was a good 20 minute work out while the kids were napping. I had to settle for one kid napping, one kid at least quietly in his room and my infant who just woke up from her nap. "Okay" I thought, "at least she'll just sit there and watch me while I work out." Nope! She cried the whole time. I did work out though. I tried to get my work out in while Andrew (3) and Anna (1.5) were up and about, but that ended quickly in a dispute over which of them got to stand up on my aerobic step... which incidentally I needed to use but couldn't because there were two toddlers on it. Getting in shape looks very different with 3 kids under 3 years old than it did with no kids or even one. That includes the nutrition aspect. A concept that I have claimed in hope of success with my weight loss is having a fail proof kitchen. This is a concept that came from Dr. Phil (just so that I'm giving credit where it's due). Basically for me that means cleaning out the kitchen of everything that is a stumbling block for me. I have to say that before kids this wasn't so hard, but now that there are three of them (two of whom eat 3 meals, plus snacks), it's hard to not have any junk in the house. By junk I mean gold fish, ghrahm crackers, juice, etc... Those types of things are things that can be just empty calories for me.

It's all about discipline. At different times in my life I have displayed certain measures of discipline. In some areas of my life I do well, but this is just an area that I can't seem to conquer. Today I made a choice that I hope will turn this all around once and for all. I confided in a girl friend and asked her to hold me accountable for my weight loss. This is the first time I've done something like that. It was really hard, but I trust this friend and I know that she wants to see me succeed.

No comments: