Monday, February 12, 2007

The Worst Part of Parenting

Most days I'm an optomist. One who likes to find the best parts of things like parenting. And I'll say, there are many great things. But, for the last week, we finally experienced what I certainly think was the WORST part of parenting.

All three kids were sick at the same time! I mean throwing up & diarrhea sick! What a nightmare. As soon as we had one kid cleaned up, it was time to clean up the next one! It all started Super Bowl Sunday with Andrew and quickly spread to Anna and Alissa by the beginning of the week. Of course, all I kept wondering was when Eric and I would get it. I mean come on, how could we avoid it?

By Thursday, Andrew was pretty much over it, but the girls still had it pretty bad. At one point on Friday I called my mom and just cried. There came a point in time after changing diapers about every 10 minutes that I just felt like I couldn't do it anymore!!!! I just needed my mom's voice and a little pep talk.
That afternoon Eric came home from work early... sick!

I was scheduled to complete my orientation and start on my own on the new unit at work on Saturday and Sunday respectively. It was fine and funny to joke about the irony of me ending up with it when I was supposed to work, but not so funny when it actually happened.

Saturday I went to work and felt rotten first thing, but tried to stick it out. By 3 or 4pm I was so sick and running to the bathroom frequently enough that it was interfering with my work. Not to mention that when I'm caring for ill people who are likely immunocompromised anyway, it's just not right for me to be bringing sick with me everytime I enter their rooms.

By 4:30, I was walking out the door. I did my best! But it never feels right to leave early, even when you know you are justified.

I was sick in bed for two whole days with a fever a large part of the time.

Today is Monday, the beginning of a new week and everyone seems to be feeling tons better. Eric's at work and I'm feeling good this morning. All three kids are up and about with no signs of illness.

Thank God that one's under our belt. At the end of it all, I give thanks for an amazing husband (whose birthday is today) who will clean up throw up and my kids who show that they need me and love me even when the situation is so glum. But mostly, I feel so thankful for a God who builds my character and showers me with blessings.

No comments: