Thursday, October 12, 2006

Our Kind of Place

I'm like every other girl. I love to be romanced, wined and dined occasionally, but truth be known, occasional is the key word. My husband knows me so well. He knows that the things that really get to my heart are the unexpected flowers and sweet cards. I still have a valentine (that's right a real valentine- like the one's we gave in first grade) that he put in the bathroom of our first house that said "To my beautiful wife" in his writing. I leave it in my make- up bag especially for times when I don't feel beautiful.

The wining and dining is nice sometimes. I do like to get dressed up and go out for a big, expensive dinner every once in a while. But the things that Eric and I love to do the most have nothing to do with getting all dressed up or spending ridiculous amounts of money (I know what you are thinking... clearly we like to do that, we had three kids in 3 1/2 years, but that's not where I'm going with this). When we were dating we had a place that we coined "our place."
It was a place called Hunter's Pub. We even had a booth there that if it was available we'd always sit at. Whenever we're home and have a chance to go there we do. Needless to say, we miss our dates there... well, we miss our dates period.

Last Tuesday, our usual samll group night, Eric had to work late as it's the end of the fiscal year for his company, so we decided to do the unthinkable and skip group in order to have a much needed date. For us, it was about taking advantage of our amazing sitter who was already coming to stay with the kids and getting in some time away from our house without our kids. There is a place that is new around here that we'd been wanting to try for a while. Pauley's Pub. Our kind of place! Of course, nothing will ever replace Hunter's, due in large part to pure nostalgia, but Pauley's was a close second. Both Hunter's and Pauley's are places that are not fancy. In fact, they are just what they say they are, Pubs.

So, I'll say it again, occasionally, I love to go get romanced at a nice restaurant and drink wine or a cosmo and eat expensive food, but on an ordinary day, give me my favorite jeans to wear, a pub and a couple beers. Just remember to bring me flowers unexpectedly.

No comments: