Saturday, August 05, 2006

Are emotions learned?



Here's a deep thought for the day: Are emotions learned? I wondered this as I sat and watched the end Disney's "Monster's Inc." with my son and daughter this afternoon. This is a movie that we watch at least once a week upon their request. It's certainly an intriguing movie. The creators of this movie thought well to get into the minds of children and their fear of monsters and make a movie out of it to relieve their fears. Very smart! If you've never seen the movie, the basic concept is a little girl befriending a big, hairy monster. At the end of the movie they part ways as the monster takes the little girl back to her room and tucks her into bed. They have one last hug and the monster goes back into her closet, never to be seen again. The emotioin of both characters upon their departure is sad. I came into the room for the last 10 minutes of the movie, and though I've seen a million times before, I still found myself wanting to cry.

That's what made me wonder: Are emotions learned? My 3 year old son didn't cry, in fact he shows no emotion during this part of the movie. He can tell me that Sully (the monster) and Boo (the little girl) are both sad, but he's not sad. Yet, when one of us leaves for work, or occasionally when we leave him with the babysitter, he's sad and he cries. Same emotion, different situation.

Why do adults cry at movies? At what point in our development do our minds and hearts colide so that when we watch a situation (even though we know it's not real) we feel sad inside and even shed some tears? Are our emotions learned or developed based on life's experiences? Is that what is different between me and Andrew? I've just experienced more life than he has, so when I see others sad, it makes me sad? Which then leads me to wonder why do some people cry so easily and others almost never cry?

A thought for another day I guess!

No comments: